Sweet potatoes are very nutritious! Read on to learn more about its benefits and 4 delicious sweet potato recipes!
Sweet Potato Benefits
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber! Which is why it’s considered to be a superfood for your overall health.
Some of its benefits include;
- Gut health; thanks to its rich fiber contents, sweet potatoes can promote gut health and help with digestion. Eating sweet potatoes can help prevent constipation in all age groups.
- Eyesight: Vitamin A, C, and E are excellent for eye health. Deficiency in Vitamin A can cause losing vision or night blindness. Vitamin C in sweet potatoes can prevent cataracts.
- Immune system: sweet potatoes are great sources of beta-carotene, which can improve gut health and boost the immune system.
- Anti-inflammatory: Sweet potatoes are excellent sources of anthocyanins and choline. These nutrients are essential to prevent and reduce inflammation in the body.
- Cardiovascular diseases: Some scientific studies have shown that the soluble dietary fibers in sweet potatoes can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Hair & Skin: Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins A, C, and E; therefore, it’s very beneficial for hair and skin health. It can help repair sun damage on your skin and promote hair growth.
4 Sweet Potato Benefits
Here are some delicious and healthy sweet potato recipes that you can make easily as a side or main dish!
Sweet Potato Bake with Quinoa and Black Beans
– 4 cups of chopped sweet potatoes
– 1 can of black beans
– 1 cup uncooked quinoa
– 2 cups veggie broth
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 2 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp garlic salt
– ½ tsp dry thyme
– ½ cup chopped green onions
– Preheat oven to 375 F
– Mix all your ingredients in a baking dish (except for the green onions). Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes.
– After baking for 45 minutes, remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
– Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes and sprinkle with chopped green onions before serving.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
– 4 sweet potatoes
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 medium-size onion
– 1 can black beans
– 2 cups of baby spinach
– ½ cup sliced green onions
– 1 tbsp chopped chipotle chiles
– 1 clove garlic
– ¼ tsp salt
– 4 tbsp shredded cheese (desired kind)
– Microwave the sweet potatoes on high heat until they are tender.
– Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and cook until onions get soft.
– Add the rest of your ingredients except for cheese and cook them all for 5 minutes.
– Split the potatoes and fill them with the spinach mixture.
– Sprinkle shredded cheese before serving.
Breakfast Hash Browns
– 2 medium-size sweet potatoes
– 2 medium-size russet potatoes
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– ¼ tsp kosher salt
– 12 eggs (or as many as you want)
– Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
– Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes then peel and grate
– Mix grated potatoes with olive and salt in a large bowl.
– Grease the muffin pan and add your potato mixture to the pan (⅓ cups at a time)
– Slightly press the center of each cup to make space for eggs
– Turn the heat up to 425 degrees and bake the potatoes for 20 minutes
– Remove from the oven and then crack one egg per muffin
– Put back in the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
– 5 potatoes
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1 tbsp minced chipotle chiles
– 1 tbsp adobo sauce
– ¼ cup pure maple syrup
– 4 tbsp butter
– Add 1 cup of water to the instant pot and put the sweet potatoes on the trivet. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
– Let them cook and then skin the sweet potatoes.
– Melt the butter in the pot, add heavy cream, maple syrup, and chipotle chiles.
– Put back the sweet potatoes and mash while mixing.
– You can add salt, pepper, or other spices before serving.
With the information provided on the benefits of sweet potatoes and the healthy recipes, you can now add them to your diet easily.
Share your thoughts with us in the comments section! Which recipe is your favorite?