Using the best lavender essential oil on your body offers several benefits. Keep reading to find out what they are in this article.
RELATED: The 9 Best Essential Oils For Asthma
19 Proven Benefits of the Best Lavender Essential Oil
1. Reduces Feelings of Anxiety and Depression
Studies have shown that lavender essential oil aromatherapy helps reduce feelings of anxiety and depression in subjects with phobias and generalized and separation anxiety disorders. The outcomes of these studies have also shown that most participants tolerate their treatments well.
2. Promotes Healing of Burns
Take note that using lavender oil as a burn ointment only applies to minor burns and sunburns. If you’re dealing with major burns, it’s better to talk to your trusted physician first.
3. Encourages Better Sleep Quality
The scent of lavender helped improve insomnia and the quality of daytime wakefulness of subjects with sleep disorders in multiple clinical trials.
Aside from that, it helped promote deeper and longer sleep.
4. Promotes Hair Growth
Lavender essential oil helped promote hair growth within four weeks of application in a laboratory trial.
Another study has also shown that patients with alopecia areata may be able to benefit from the use of lavender oil aromatherapy.
5. Anti-Fungal Treatment
An in-vitro study showed the potency of lavender oil against fungi causing candidiasis and dermatophytosis. But clinical trials are needed to prove its effectiveness on topical skin or nail infection applications.
6. Soothes Insect Bites
Lavender contains linalool which is a non-toxic compound that can soothe mosquito bites or repel insects in general.
7. Reduces Symptoms of Allergies
Unless you’re allergic to lavender, then lavender can help reduce your symptoms of allergies. This is lavender’s anti-inflammatory properties at work.
This is especially useful during the allergy season.
8. Promotes the Healing of Wounds
Lavender also can treat wounds and heal scarring.
A study has shown that the application on the affected area helps improve collagen synthesis. This means that the oil helps in making wounds heal faster, especially wounds in the early stages.
9. Works Against Pimples and Acne
The best lavender essential oil can also work against pimples and acne issues.
Since lavender oil helps treat scarring in general, you can also apply it to acne scarring. In particular, if you’ve popped your pimple, apply this with a carrier oil.
Carrier Oil Definition: The base oil that dilutes essential oils. Coconut oil, sunflower oil, and jojoba are some popular base oils.
Don’t apply it directly to open acne. Otherwise, you run the risk of an allergic reaction.
10. Soothes Pain After Tonsillectomy in Children
A study on the treatment of post-tonsillectomy pain in children has shown that lavender aromatherapy has an analgesic effect on young post-surgery patients. It helped reduce the number of painkillers that the children took to treat their pain after the surgery.
11. Helps Reduce Pain from Stress Headaches
As one of the essential oils known to help reduce pain, lavender essential oil aromatherapy can help soothe the pain from headaches.
Lavender oil inhalation can also help reduce the pain caused by migraines. It’s a safe and natural alternative to taking painkillers.
12. Alleviates PMS Emotional Symptoms
Since there are no directly effective PMS or premenstrual syndrome treatments out there, essential oils like lavender oil are an alternative women try out.
According to a study on lavender aromatherapy and its ability to treat emotional PMS symptoms, this could be a solution worth exploring.
13. Soothes Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dermatitis
Lavender oil’s antifungal properties can help soothe eczema, as well as keep at bay psoriasis and dermatitis.
When applying lavender oil on your skin, remember to do a patch test first. Another way to apply lavender oil on the skin is by adding a carrier oil to it.
If you’re getting treatment for any of the three, do consult with your physician first whether or not you can safely use lavender oil.
14. Manages Nausea and Vomiting
Aromatherapy treatment with lavender essential oil for post-operative nausea and vomiting (PONV) has proven to soothe the discomfort of subjects of a placebo-controlled study. It worked as good as ginger and better than rose oil and pure water.
15. Moisturizes Dry or Chapped Lips
Lavender oil can also help bring some moisture back to your chapped lips, especially with a carrier oil and honey. Make a plant-based lip balm out of it to avoid allergic reactions.
16. Fights Dandruff
Essential oils can be applied all over your body, including your scalp. Use your fingertips to massage lavender oil onto your dry and itchy scalp.
17. Serves as a Natural Deodorant
Lavender essential oil is known for having antibacterial properties. Additionally, it also smells good.
Both of these factors make it a recommended deodorant ingredient.
You can try making an aluminum-free lavender deo on your own at home!
18. Reduces Pain from Cold Sores
There is evidence that lavender oil’s analgesic, anti-inflammatory, as well as antioxidant properties help with cold sores and other inflammatory skin conditions.
19. May Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Multiple studies have shown the soothing effect of lavender essential in alleviating the pain caused by dysmenorrhea or menstrual cramps. In some studies, it was recommended as a nursing remedy to collegiate subjects.
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil as a Home Remedy
Lavender essential oil is too strong to apply by itself on your skin. Dilute it with a carrier oil, like coconut oil first before applying.
- For eczema: Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil, 2 drops of lavender oil, and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- For acne: Mix 15 drops of lavender oil, 8 drops of lemon extract in 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- As astringent: Combine 1-3 drops of lavender oil with 2 drops of coconut oil.
- For sunburn: Mix 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice with 2 tablespoons of water, 10-12 drops of lavender oil, and 10-12 drops of jojoba oil. Put this in a spray bottle.
Add 6-8 drops of lavender oil into your diffuser or vaporizer.
Hair and Scalp Application
There are different ways to do this:
- Add 2-3 drops of lavender oil to your shampoo, and then use it as you normally would.
- Mix a few drops of lavender oil in a cup of water. Pour it over your head. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of olive oil with 6-8 drops of lavender oil. Massage onto your scalp and leave it on 10 minutes before washing.
As you can see, the best lavender essential oil can provide a multitude of benefits. If you’re looking for non-chemical treatments, why not try lavender essential oil?
Make sure to check for allergies before applying. Put a drop on a small area of your skin first, and check for irritation.
Have you used lavender essential oil before? Share your experience with us by leaving a comment down below!
- Grape Seed Oil — Is It A Healthy Cooking Oil?
- 11 Essential Oils For Thyroid Health
- Can Sugar-Free Gum Really Relieve Stress?