You may want to consider juicing for health to complement your thyroid-boosting meals. This can be as simple as meal replacement shakes in the morning or juices to go with your meals. Adding these beverages to your diet can help you squeeze in more nutrients that can boost thyroid function. Here are 3 quick and easy juicing recipes that can help stimulate an underactive thyroid.
In this article:
- What is Hypothyroidism?
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Self Check for Hypothyroidism
- Things to Add to Your Diet
- Things to Avoid
- Smoothies to Lose Weight
- Juice Recipe Perfect for an Underactive Thyroid
Juicing For Health | 3 Homemade Beverages for Hypothyroidism
What is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid no longer is able to produce enough hormones to maintain certain metabolic functions. Often, this occurs because of how a person’s immune system can produce antibodies that are harmful to the thyroid gland. Moreover, this condition is definitely a serious illness that requires medical attention. However, it is entirely possible to treat hypothyroidism with proper food intake.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
It is very important to be aware of the symptoms that manifest due to hypothyroidism. This awareness can be helpful for early detection of hypothyroidism. Furthermore, being able to detect hypothyroidism in its early stages can help prevent the condition from escalating to a point that can no longer be maintained through proper nutrition. Given this, the following are overt symptoms of hypothyroidism:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Chronic fatigue
- Intolerance to cold
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Low immunity
- Slow heart rate
- Weight gain
Self Check for Hypothyroidism
If you are unsure of whether your symptoms warrant medical assistance, you can perform a simple test on your own at home. Just take your temperature every morning for five straight days. If your temperature readings are consistently at 97.6 degrees Fahrenheit or below, this is an indicator that can mean you have some degree of hypothyroidism. Given this, it is important to consult your doctor in order to receive sufficient treatment should you actually have impaired thyroid function.
Things to Add to Your Diet
Having hypothyroidism can be tough. One thing you can do to help with your symptoms is to get proper nutrition. You can increase the nutrients you get each meal through juicing. There are many health benefits of juicing, including combating certain deficiencies with fruits, supplements, and veggies. Furthermore, you can definitely use juicing diet plans in order to both activate the thyroid gland as well as cope with its symptoms involving weight gain. Given this, here are several things you should focus on eating:
- Foods high in B vitamins and iron – dark leafy green vegetables
- Foods packed with protein – beans and meat products
- Yellow vegetables – squash, carrots, bell peppers
- Fresh fruits
- Whole grains – gluten-free varieties
- Clean water
- Herbal teas
Things to Avoid
There are certain things you also have to avoid in order to ensure you don’t compromise your thyroid function. That being said, the following are examples of foods you should avoid if you have any degree of hypothyroidism:
- Cruciferous vegetables – broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, spinach
- Gluten – most breads and pastries
- Fatty food
- Processed food
- Carbonated drinks
Smoothies to Lose Weight
Nutrient-dense diet smoothies are important if you have hypothyroidism. Moreover, these are easy enough for you to make regularly even if you have a notably busy schedule. Given this, here are just some recipe ideas for you to consider adding to your diet.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted almond butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 or 2 large ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients at high speed until it reaches your desired texture.
- Add a little filtered water if it’s too thick then blend again.
Cocoa Bliss Smoothie
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon no alcohol pure vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
Juice Recipe Perfect for an Underactive Thyroid
If you’re not a big fan of smoothies, you might want to try juices. These are easier to consume along with your meals given that they aren’t as thick as smoothies. Here is an easy recipe for a juice you could have at home:
Watercress Green Juice
- 2 cups of watercress leaves and stems
- 2 red or green apples
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a juicer.
- Serve with ice.
- Note: Drink in moderation. Watercress is highly detoxifying.
Check out this video from Thyroid Symptoms for quick and healthy drink recipes to boost your underactive thyroid:
You can also save this handy, healthy drink recipes infographic on your phone to guide you:
Juicing for health is very important when it comes to working against the effects of hypothyroidism. Moreover, these drinks should be full of the nutrients you need to help stimulate your thyroid gland. Additionally, healthy drinks such as diet breakfast smoothies are great for combating weight gain, which is a symptom of hypothyroidism.
Have you tried juicing for health to boost your thyroid health? Do you know other recipes good for your thyroid? Share them with us in the comments section below!