Selank is one of the rising nootropics today. What is it exactly and what are its potential benefits? Let’s find out.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this post is to present medical studies and information in an accessible manner. This post may contain opinions about this particular drug but does not mean that it is recommended for all readers. Always consult a medical professional to see if these solutions may be right for you.
In this article:
- What Is Selank?
- What Are the Potential Benefits of Selank?
- How Do You Use Selank?
- What Are the Kinds of Selank Available?
- How Is It Different from Semax?
- What Other Things Should I Consider Before Taking It?
- Where Can You Buy Selank?
What Are the Benefits of Selank and Other FAQs
What Is Selank?
Selank, also known as TP-7, is a synthetic peptide derived by combining the sequence of tuftsin with another sequence to improve its stability. Tuftin makes up one part of the IgG antibody and is naturally occurring.
Tuftsin Definition: A peptide closely related to the immune function primarily supported by the spleen
On top of its anti-anxiety, antidepressant, and antiasthenic properties, it can also enhance memory and cognitive function. This peptide can potentially replace stimulants, tranquilizers, and antidepressants.
Antiasthenic Definition: A drug that counters asthenia, a disorder characterized by an abnormal physical weakness or lack of energy
While research isn’t yet conclusive, there are studies that observed the ability of Selank to stabilize blood enkephalins—natural peptides in the body that can reduce stress. Another research also reported it to have been able to change levels of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine, the neurotransmitters involved in motivation, focus, and pleasure.
What Are the Potential Benefits of Selank?
Given the current data on Selank, here are the potential benefits you can get from taking it.
1. May Improve Anxiety
Here’s what the literature says about this:
- A study with a randomized controlled trial of 62 patients found out that those who took Selank had fewer symptoms of anxiety. One promising caveat observed in the same study is the greater decrease in those participants with pre-existing anxiety disorders.
- This similar effect was observed in another randomized controlled trial with 60 anxiety and phobia patients.
- A study of 70 anxiety patients reported that Selank increased the effects of phenazepam, a banned anti-anxiety drug in the USA while reducing its side effects.
- Studies in mice also showed Selank’s anxiolytic effects. The more anxious a subject is in the beginning, the more significant the result is.
2. May Improve Learning Ability
A study in mice showed Selank’s capability to improve learning ability within three days. The subjects treated with the peptide were able to learn quicker on an electrical test.
Other effects observed were reduced anxiety helping them move faster.
3. May Enhance Memory
In a 30-day trial in rats, Selank showed to have stabilized memory traces in rats. It is unclear, however, how the measurements were done since memory traces aren’t detectable as locations in the brain.
There’s also a study that concluded it may preserve memories in monkeys.
4. May Help with Brain Damage Recovery
Researchers found Selank to restore the brain activity of mice with toxin-induced brain damage to normal levels.
5. May Increase Liver Antioxidant Activity
A study in mice showed that injecting the stressed subjects with Selank increase the levels of antioxidant in their livers.
6. May Help Strengthen Immune Function
In one study, Selank increased blood IL-6 levels of depression patients. IL-6 is an inflammatory protein that can help fight infection.
A different cell-based study found that Selank induced the release of the anti-viral molecules interferons. In this study, however, Selank did not show any treatment effect in virus-infected mice.
7. May Help with Alcohol Withdrawal
In one study, rats were given a 10% ethanol solution as their only drinking source in the span of 24 weeks to recreate alcohol intake. It found out that Selank decreased alcohol-withdrawal-related anxiety of the rats after a 48-hour period.
8. May Help with Blood Pressure Management and Increase Brain Blood Flow
Selank decreased the blood pressure of sedated cat subjects by about 30% for 3 minutes in this study. It also increased the cats brain blood flow by about 24% for up to 10 minutes.
9. May Help with Weight Loss and Reducing Cholesterol
Researchers found that when treated with Selank, high-fat-fed mice gained 35% less weight. On top of that, the total cholesterol of the subject dropped by over 58% while their blood sugar level decreased by 23.5%
10. May Improve Ulcers
Selank decreased the area of stomach ulcer in animal research subjects. This is attributed to the peptide’s ability to increase lymph flow to the stomach.
How Do You Use Selank?
Selank is a peptide taken nasally. This is because it will be digested by the stomach if taken orally.
Inhaling it is more effective to deliver it to the brain.
The recommended dosage is 2-3 tiny drop in each nostril for 2-3 times a day.
What Are the Kinds of Selank Available?
You can buy Selank in three forms:
- Selank – This is form commonly researched on.
- NA-Selank – AKA N-acetyl Selank, this is closely similar to Selank minus the acetyl group in its bond. No human studies have been done on this form.
- NA-Selank Amidate – There are no existing studies that mix Selank with Amidate, a prescription anesthetic.
How Is It Different from Semax?
Both are synthetic peptides who have potential nootropic benefits. Semax, however, comes from a brain hormone and has different uses—preventing liver damage and improving blood circulation.
What Other Things Should I Consider Before Taking It?
Although the data available for now, both from animal and human studies, are promising, there is no guarantee of this peptide’s therapeutic effects.
- Although it contains a stabilizing protein sequence, Selank’s half-life is only two minutes — after 10 minutes, it will be completely untraceable in the bloodstream. This opens the question of whether the peptide can really have long-lasting effects.
- We have at the moment limited information about its activity on patients.
- There are currently no reported side effects. Extensive research is still needed to prove if this peptide safe.
Where Can You Buy Selank?
This drug is available only in Russia. It isn’t readily available in the US because synthetic peptides are regulated by the FDA in the US.
Learn more about other nootropics in this video by Bulletproof:
Selank poses a great potential as a nootropic and an anxiolytic drug. However, with the lack of definitive scientific verdict on its effectiveness and safety, it is the best course of action to consult your doctor first before trying it.
For other supplements supporting protein sequences in the body, check out Dr. Seeds’ shop.
Do you have any other questions about Selank? Let us know in the comments section below!